The Dos and Don'ts Of Downlights
This blog post was updated in December 2022.
If you're considering installing downlights in your home, you're likely excited about the potential benefits. Downlights can add a modern, stylish touch to your space, and they're highly effective at illuminating specific areas of a room. But there are a few important dos and don'ts to keep in mind when it comes to installing downlights, so let's take a closer look.
Benefits of LED Downlights
There are a few key benefits of using LED downlights in your home, including:
- Energy efficiency: LED lights are highly energy efficient, which means they use less electricity than other types of lights. This can help you save money on your energy bills, and it's better for the environment too.
- Long lifespan: LED lights have a much longer lifespan than other types of lights, which means you won't have to replace them as often. This can save you money in the long run, and it's one less thing for you to worry about.
- Dimmable: Many LED downlights are dimmable, which means you can adjust the brightness to suit your needs. This can be especially useful in rooms like bedrooms, where you may want a softer, more relaxing light.
- Versatility: LED downlights are highly versatile, which means they can be used in a wide range of settings. They're perfect for illuminating specific areas of a room, and they can be used in both residential and commercial spaces.
Considerations and Things to Think About With LED Downlights
LED downlights can be a fantastic addition to any home. They're highly energy efficient, long-lasting, and versatile, which means they can be used in a wide range of settings. But before you start installing LED downlights, there are a few important considerations to keep in mind.
One of the first things to consider is the type of LED downlight you want to use. There are many different types available, including fixed, adjustable, and dimmable lights. Each type has its own unique benefits, so make sure you choose the one that's right for your space.
Another important consideration is the size of the downlight. If you choose a downlight that's too small, it may not provide enough illumination for the space. On the other hand, if you choose one that's too big, it may be overpowering and create too much light. So make sure you measure the space carefully and choose a downlight that's the right size.
Another thing to consider is the colour temperature of the LED downlight. LED lights come in a range of colour temperatures, from warm white to cool white. Warm white lights are great for creating a cozy, inviting atmosphere, while cool white lights are better for tasks that require more focus and concentration. So make sure you choose a colour temperature that's right for the space.
When it comes to installation, it's important to follow the instructions carefully and use the right tools. If you're not confident in your ability to install the downlights, it's a good idea to get help from a professional. This will ensure that the lights are installed correctly and safely, which can save you time and hassle in the long run.
It's also important to test the downlights once they're installed to make sure they're working properly. This will give you peace of mind, and it will also help you identify any potential problems before they become bigger issues.
Installing in Working Areas
- Do install recessed downlights over work areas. These areas include desks, kitchen benches or any area where you work that requires good task lighting.
- Don't disregard the light intensity of the LED bulb for the fixture. Use bulbs with the right wattage, lumen output and beam spread to achieve balanced brightness over your work area.
- Do include some accent, task and ambient lighting in your living room and other parts of your house. Incorporate some focused lighting in reading areas of the room.
- Don't be afraid to try out different trends and positions for your downlight fixtures. Interior design is not an exact science, you might find the perfect lighting solution by experimentation.
- Do use a circular recessed downlight fixture if you are using a circular style dining table. This will coordinate the light with the furniture. If you are using a square or rectangular table, use a light fixture with an angular opening.
- Do use dimmers to control the light level over the dining table. By using dimmers you can create the right mood for the right occasion.
- Don't avoid using incandescent halogen light bulbs in the kitchen. The power consumption of these lamps is very high making them very inefficient and expensive to run. It is recommended to use a compact LED light bulb to illuminate your kitchen. They are long lasting, provide a sufficient amount of brightness and are very energy efficient.
- Do use wall lights either side or above the mirror to give you the best lighting to apply makeup. You can also choose efficient vanity lights.
- Do mix different types of bathroom lighting to achieve the look you want.
- Don't use light fittings with amber or smoked coloured glass diffusers or warm coloured lamp light source for lights used to apply makeup. For best result select lamps with a Kelvin colour temperature between 4000K to 5000K and fittings with neutral opal diffusers.
At Discount Lighting our wide range of products are sure to meet your needs, buy online or alternatively visit our well stocked showroom to see the latest LED lighting designs.